Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Steamed Asian Marinated Tofu

Marinade:
  • minced fresh ginger (I use the tiny ceramic washboard like ginger graters... nothing else gets the juice out like it)... note you may also used powered ginger--don't be mingy/stingy here! Grate a good inch or MORE of fresh ginger, use around o how about 1 tablespoon of the powdered stuff
  • sesame oil (about 3 tbs)... it depends how much liquid you need which is determined by how much tofu you have... I only had three half inch thick slices
  • soy sauce, mirrin, rice vinegar (I generally don't use more than 1 tbs of things... but use your discretion, dip your finger in and taste)
  • minced fresh garlic
(not added last night but if I had some, I would also add chopped green onion (the white part only)

Prepare the tofu by slicing into half inch slices, lay down in a flat glass dish with lots of surface area and pour on the marinade, stick in the fridge. If you remember, turn over after a couple of hours (I forgot and just flipped it over and let the other side soak while I prepared the rice and my vegetables and it was FINE).

Once you're ready, you need a stove top situation to steam the tofu. I got a large pot and filled it with 2 inches of water. I then inserted one of those metal vegetable steamers in the pot, and placed a ceramic rice bowl over the centre stem of the vegetable steamer so I had a flat surface on which to rest a saucer which contained a few slices of tofu along with some marinade.

Get the water boiling, cover the whole contraption and steam for a mere five minutes.

I had this with steamed brown rice (if you had one of those tripods, you could stick that in the rice and steam the tofu AFTER the rice is done... less pots to clean! I gotta get me a tripod from China town!) AND I sliced Belgian endive in half, heated up some olive oil and quickly grilled the endive in a frying pan. I drizzled a vinaigrette of lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil and sea salt over the endive after turning off the heat)

Other exciting things to add to basic marinade:
  • Dillweed
  • Minced shallot

No comments:

Post a Comment